The saga of the Sri Ram Pur House


My last chapter was supposed to be the one I wrote and published last but as life goes on, many things happen so I would like to write about them as well. Jayanti  lived  in SydneyAustralia for a while where she was the senior consultant for an IT company and frequently traveled to many parts of Australia to give lectures on IT related topics to CEOs of big companies and such groups. 
She now works in Cambodia where she develops programs for the government to make social services more accessible to the poorer section of the society and works in Africa as the program leader of similar projects.

Our son works in the United States and lives in Philadelphia. They have two children. They are now permanent residents of the United States which means they will become citizens in the future. Jayanti is already a citizen of Australia so we in our family all have different passports meaning different nationalities.

But the Sri Ram Pur chapter had to come to a close so in 2010 , a buyer was found and the ancestral home was sold and Nirmal moved to Delhi with his wife for good. Now the house where we all grew up and shared so many years of togetherness was locked up and dark.The new owners have not decided yet what to do with it. The garden must be full of weeds and the cobwebs everywhere but that is what happens when a house is locked up. I can imagine the empty rooms full of dust with footprints of mice everywhere . Once it was a very decent home full of light,laughter and music with Pa and Ma in charge but that was a long time ago.

Now the circumstances dictated that the house be sold because no one wanted to live there. I suggested the idea that Nirmal should move to Delhi to be near his daughter and grandchildren so eventually that is what he did .He is quite happy now and feels that it was the right move for them. Annapurna lives in Lucknow in the house that I donated to the mission and our youngest lives in Meerut. We have made our permanent home here in the Philippines. 

Shanti and Devjani have both died in the mean time but I gave my share of the proceeds from the sale of the house to all the sisters and their children so they are happy.

The letters have stopped coming and no news comes .The e mail or Skype is useless because Nirmal or my sisters do not have computer and they do not know how to type.They are also afraid of the technology.


My younger sister calls may be once a year and sometimes asks when I will visit them. I have a pat answer saying I do not know. The truth is I really do not know.

Comments